27 February 2012

A party is a party is a party is a party

Recently I returned 'home' to Montpellier after spending a week in Berlin and a weekend in Amsterdam for winter break. It was the bee's knees. Both of these amazing cities are known for their outrageous night life, which I would like to think that I experienced (aside from the couple of nights when I retired early with a spoon full of peanut butter and the Hunger Games for bed mates). Everything from swanky bars, to coffee shops, I was livin La Vida Europa! Yes, I did just go there.

Everything came full circle when I ventured out to a house party hosted by some German college students. I wasn't sure what to expect! These are Europeans after all! So I put on my coziest turtle neck, grabbed a couple of beers and hoped for some Aryan hotties.

What it wasn't: some pretentious European gathering of intellectuals and communists.
What it was: a college house party.

It was so alarmingly familiar, I felt that at any moment, I could be headed to Qdoba for drunk nachos. I got to talk to Germans my age about their opinion of American music, German politics, and Obama. I saw people waiting impatiently in line to use the bathroom, girls dancing alone in far corners of the living room and boys smoking 'cigarettes' on the patio. In all my weekends in Europe, this party was where I felt the most comfortable and at home.

It turns out that no matter what language you speak, where you grew up, or what school you go to: good music + alcohol = a party.



ps: currently on the hunt for a yellow fur.


No comments:

Post a Comment